| Home | Free Articles for Your Site | Submit an Article | Advertise | Link to Us | Search | Contact Us |
This site is an archive of old articles


vertical line

Alcohol Poisoning The Problems With Drinking

One of the problems with excessive drinking is the possibility of alcohol poisoning.

While there are people who think that a high school or college student who is stumbling around in a drunken stupor is funny, it may be a serious problem. Alcohol poisoning can be deadly.

There are many dangers that exist concerning alcohol poisoning. Tragedies happen because people do not know what to do in these situations or even the signs to look for.

Some people think that a person who has had too much to drink should just take a cold shower, drink some coffee or walk or sleep it off. None of these things work, the only thing that does work is time and a person who has alcohol poisoning may not have this luxury.

When a person drinks the alcohol depresses the nerves that control involuntary actions. These actions, like the gag reflex and breathing can be stopped if a person drinks too much.

Someone who has had too much to drink may vomit because the alcohol irritates the stomach. If that person chokes on the vomit they may die because they are not conscious. A personís blood alcohol concentration may keep rising even after the person has passed out. This can also lead to death.

If you are in a situation where there is a possibility of someone having alcohol poisoning here are some critical signs to watch for:

Vomiting
Mental confusion, stupor, a person who canít be roused, coma
Irregular breathing
Bluish skin color or paleness that can signify hypothermia
Seizures
Slow breathing

Any of these signs can mean that you need to take action. There have been many cases where people have waited too long to call 911 or have assumed that the person will be all right after they sleep it off.

All of the symptoms do not need to be present for there to be a serious and life threatening problem and any person who has passed out from drinking could die.

When a person has alcohol poisoning and does not get the treatment they need there are several things that can happen.

The person may experience slower breathing which can become irregular and then stop all together.

A person who has alcohol poisoning and goes untreated may choke on his own vomit.

Sometimes severe dehydration occurs and the person will have seizures, permanent brain damage or may die. If a person who has alcohol poisoning is not helped her heart may beat irregularly or stop beating.

Hypoglycemia, which is too little blood sugar can lead to seizures.

Alcohol poisoning is a serious situation and one that needs to be handled with care. Donít assume a drinking buddy will be O.K. after he has stopped drinking and passed out. Know the signs and know what to do.

Submitted by:

Ed Philips

Ed Philips is a writer for http://www.stopdrinkingadvice.org/which is an excellent place on how to stop drinking,For more information go to:www.stopdrinkingadvice.org




ARTICLE CATEGORIES

Aging
Arts and Crafts
Auto and Trucks
Automotive
Business
Business and Finance
Cacer Survival
Classifieds
Computers and Internet
Education
Family
Finances
Food and Drink
Gadgets and Gizmos
Gardening
Health
Hobbies
Home Improvement
Home Management
Humor
Jobs
Kids and Teens
Leadership
Legal
Legal B
Marketing
Men
Music and Movies
Online Business
Parenting
Pets and Animals
Politics and Government
Recreation and Sports
Relationships
Religion and Faith
Self Improvement
Site Promotion
Travel and Leisure
Travel Part B
Web Development
Women
Writing



http://www.articlesurfing.com/wellness_fitness_and_diet/alcohol_poisoning_the_problems_with_drinking.html
Copyright © 1995-2016 Photius Coutsoukis (All Rights Reserved).