|| Home | Free Articles for Your Site | Submit an Article | Advertise | Link to Us | Search | Contact Us ||
OTHER ITA SITES:
Don't Fail To Follow Up
You took the time to carefully craft your resume. You secured an interview. After all the time and effort you have expended in looking for a job, why not be attentive to the small details as well. Many people don’t consider the follow up letter to be important. They intend to send one but do not or simply believe that a company will call if interested.
A follow up letter can help you to recover from any missteps in the interview. Even if the interview went exceptionally well, the follow-up letter can set you apart from other candidates. You should send the follow up letter within 24 hours. Depending on the company culture, this can be done by email or hard copy. If the company does not allow or encourage outside email, you can type or handwrite a thank you note. You can also use this opportunity to add other nice touches – attach an article that addresses a topic you discussed, or pass along information of interest that was uncovered during the interview. Your follow up should indicate:
1) You were attentive, include details about what you learned
1) Mention names of the people that you met and any topics that solicited general interest.
2) Was there a particular topic that seemed to be a bonding moment? Include it in your letter.
3) Express appreciation for the interviewer’s time.
4) Do you want the job? Many fail to make the close, ask for the job in a professional, positive manner.
5) Show enthusiasm for the company and the job!
6) Don’t be afraid to sound confident (talk about the challenges and how you will meet them; let the interviewer know that you will do well).
7) Even if you do not want the job, you still want an offer so follow the same protocol. At the very least, you have made an important new contact.
Good Phrases to include:
Keep the letter short, less than one page is sufficient. Add this tactic to your job search tool kit and you will not only be successful but be well thought of in the process.
Need help writing your follow up and cover letters? Contact one of our Consultants and ask about our Job Search Package. We can be reached at (800) 648-5158.
Auto and Trucks
Business and Finance
Computers and Internet
Food and Drink
Gadgets and Gizmos
Kids and Teens
Music and Movies
Pets and Animals
Politics and Government
Recreation and Sports
Religion and Faith
Travel and Leisure